I'm just giving all the Gmail lovers a heads up that the J2ME E71 application has been updated to version 2.0 with some significant improvements. Multiple accounts is now supported which is a huge plus, and also being able to work offline is possible. This Gmail application I think should be considered a "must-have" application for all Gmail/E71 users.
Check out some of the updates below...
- Overall performance improvement: You should experience significant raw speed improvement, smoother scrolling, and no freezing.
- Multiple accounts management: If you have both a Gmail and Google Apps email account, you can easily switch between them quickly. You will no longer have to use two different mobile apps to access personal and work emails.
- Multiple mobile email drafts: You can save multiple email drafts in your mobile phone, so that you can pick and choose what you would like to send later.
- Powerful shortcut keys: If you have a QWERTY phone, you can use shortcut keys. Hit 'z' to undo, 'k' to go to a newer conversation, and 'j' to go to an older conversation. See Menu/Help in the app for more shortcuts.
- Basic offline support: Can't get a signal? Not a problem. You can compose and read your most recent emails even when there is no signal. Also, any outgoing messages will be saved in the outbox on your phone and sent automatically when you're back in coverage.
A Gmail engineer says,
Our focus for this version was to make the experience faster and more reliable. We rearchitected the entire client to push all the processing to the background, greatly improve the client-side caching scheme and optimize every bottleneck piece of code we came across.
Check out a video released by Google of the application working on the Blackberry, keep in mind it works exactly the same on the Nokia E71...
Personally, I don't use this for my Gmail needs. I use the Nokia Email (beta) Service, but I keep this Gmail application on my E71 all the time just in case I need to do a deep search for an email or get a certain contact that I don't have on my E71. Not to mention you can view labels and star emails. This application is also great for those who don't need true push email on their phone but want to be able to have access to your Gmail account(s).
Go to m.google.com/mail on your mobile browser to download the new Gmail for mobile for your phone. If you already have Gmail installed be sure to remove the version you have before installing this new version?
Do you use this mobile Gmail application, or simply rely on another solution to retrieve your Google Mail.